Kids in the Kitchen
Garden Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 6 slices of American cheese
- 6 slices of whole wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise or butter
- Butter or canola oil for the skillet
- Measuring spoons
- Paper towels
- Small sharp knife
- Butter knife
- Cutting board
- Large non-stick skillet
- Cover for the skillet
- Plastic spatula
- Platter or plate for sandwiches
- Wash the cucumber and tomato and dry with a paper towel.
- Use the small sharp knife and slice the cucumber and tomato into ¼ inch slices. Set aside.
- Place two slices of cheese on a slice of bread. Top with 4 slices of cucumber and one or two slices of tomato. Top with another piece of bread. (Repeat to make two more sandwiches.)
- With a butter knife, spread the outside of each slice of bread with either the mayonnaise or butter. Set aside on the cutting board.
- Put a small amount of butter or canola oil in the skillet.
- Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook over medium heat. Cook on one side until lightly browned.
- Turn the sandwiches over with the spatula. (An adult could help you with cooking on the stove.) Cook for about three minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown. (Placing the cover over the skillet for about 30 seconds will make the cheese melt faster.)
*** The recipe makes 3 servings. Cheese is a good source of calcium.
Taping of Kids in the Kitchen Interstitials
Kelly and Jenny make Green Eggs & Ham
Hannah and Angelles make Pretty Parfaits
Jack makes Croque Monsieur
Marielle and Josh make a Fruit Pizza
Tom and Viola make White Chocolate-Covered Pretzels.
Darlyne, Tom and Viola make treat bags for the pretzels.
Matthias and Andreas loved the Flying Saucers!
Petra joins her brothers in the kitchen.
Easy Hummus Dip makes a healthy snack.
Angelles and Iryonna enjoy the Chicken Broccoli Quiche.
Darlyne and Angelles hope you make the Chicken Broccoli Quiche at your home.
Angelles, Darlyne and Iryonna bake Crunchy Chicken Fingers.
Sam's family and friend, Luckson enjoy cooking together.
Ciara and Alanna make Crispy Cinnamon Bread.
Ciara and Alanna like to help in the kitchen.
Sam and Luckson make Kitty Chow Treat.
Lydia and Abby join Darlyne for Tortilla Pizza.
These sisters like baking Chocolate Bread Pudding Muffins.