Kids in the Kitchen
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- ½ cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices stale whole wheat, or challah or sourdough bread
- fresh fruit, such as strawberries or light syrup or orange/raspberry juice concentrate for topping
- Medium mixing bowl
- Egg beater, fork or wire whisk
- Non-stick spatula
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large, nonstick frying pan or griddle
- In a medium bowl, whip the egg whites, egg, milk and juice using an egg beater, fork or wire whisk (about 20 strokes).
- Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until slightly foamy (about 15 strokes).
- Dip the bread, a slice at a time, into the egg mixture. Flip it to coat both sides. Then place the bread on a dinner plate. Repeat this until all the bread is coated.
- Over medium-high temperature (350 degrees), heat a small amount of butter on a griddle or in a large frying pan. Spread the butter around using the tip of a spatula. Cook the coated bread until the underside is golden brown, (about 2 min.). Then flip the bread onto the other side and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve the toast warm with your favorite fresh fruit, fruit concentrate, or light syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
*** This recipe doesn't use a lot of egg yolks. It has only ¼ of the cholesterol that most other French toast recipes have. You can save the egg yolks and add them when you are making scrambled eggs.
Taping of Kids in the Kitchen Interstitials
Kelly and Jenny make Green Eggs & Ham
Hannah and Angelles make Pretty Parfaits
Jack makes Croque Monsieur
Marielle and Josh make a Fruit Pizza
Tom and Viola make White Chocolate-Covered Pretzels.
Darlyne, Tom and Viola make treat bags for the pretzels.
Matthias and Andreas loved the Flying Saucers!
Petra joins her brothers in the kitchen.
Easy Hummus Dip makes a healthy snack.
Angelles and Iryonna enjoy the Chicken Broccoli Quiche.
Darlyne and Angelles hope you make the Chicken Broccoli Quiche at your home.
Angelles, Darlyne and Iryonna bake Crunchy Chicken Fingers.
Sam's family and friend, Luckson enjoy cooking together.
Ciara and Alanna make Crispy Cinnamon Bread.
Ciara and Alanna like to help in the kitchen.
Sam and Luckson make Kitty Chow Treat.
Lydia and Abby join Darlyne for Tortilla Pizza.
These sisters like baking Chocolate Bread Pudding Muffins.