Kids in the Kitchen
Peanut Butterscotch Popcorn Squares
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- ½ cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 10-oz bag marshmallows
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup peanuts
- 10 ounces butterscotch morsels
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- Large mixing bowl
- Large non-stick frying pan
- Wooden spoons
- Measuring cups
- Non-stick cookie sheet with 1-½ inch sides
- Bowl of cold water (for sticky fingers)
- Sharp knife to chop peanuts
- Cutting board
- Serrated knife to cut the squares
- Put the popcorn in the large bowl.
- Put the butter (or margarine) in the frying pan over medium heat. When butter melts, turn the heat to low and add the marshmallows. Stir constantly until melted.
- Add peanut butter and stir well. Remove the mixture from the heat and add the warm mixture to the large bowl filled with popcorn.
- Add the peanuts, stirring until everything is coated.
- Fold in butterscotch morsels.
- Spray the cookie sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Pour the popcorn mixture onto the cookie sheet and press it into the pan. If the mixture gets too sticky, dampen your hands with cold water.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts on top.
- Put the pan in the refrigerator for one hour to set.
- Cut into squares with the serrated knife and serve.
*** Did you know that popcorn expands to 30 to 40 times its original size when you heat it? This recipe takes about 15 minutes to assemble and one hour to set. It makes about 30 squares. It also makes a great snack! The peanuts and popcorn are good sources of fiber.
Taping of Kids in the Kitchen Interstitials
Kelly and Jenny make Green Eggs & Ham
Hannah and Angelles make Pretty Parfaits
Jack makes Croque Monsieur
Marielle and Josh make a Fruit Pizza
Tom and Viola make White Chocolate-Covered Pretzels.
Darlyne, Tom and Viola make treat bags for the pretzels.
Matthias and Andreas loved the Flying Saucers!
Petra joins her brothers in the kitchen.
Easy Hummus Dip makes a healthy snack.
Angelles and Iryonna enjoy the Chicken Broccoli Quiche.
Darlyne and Angelles hope you make the Chicken Broccoli Quiche at your home.
Angelles, Darlyne and Iryonna bake Crunchy Chicken Fingers.
Sam's family and friend, Luckson enjoy cooking together.
Ciara and Alanna make Crispy Cinnamon Bread.
Ciara and Alanna like to help in the kitchen.
Sam and Luckson make Kitty Chow Treat.
Lydia and Abby join Darlyne for Tortilla Pizza.
These sisters like baking Chocolate Bread Pudding Muffins.