Kids in the Kitchen
- 12 chocolate low-fat graham crackers (don’t break them apart)
- Vanilla cream cheese frosting:
- ¾ cup low-fat softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons 2% low fat milk
- Soften cream cheese by taking it out of the refrigerator about an hour before you need it to make the frosting.
- In a small mixing bowl, mash the cream cheese and powdered sugar with a fork.
- Add the vanilla and milk and mix until completely smooth. (makes 1 ½ cups frosting)
- Frost 2 graham cracker rectangles.
- Place them next to each other with edges touching on the cake platter.
- Place 2 more graham crackers side by side (turned to cross over the frosted ones.) Frost the tops of these.
- Keep repeating the turning, layering and frosting process until all of the graham crackers are stacked and frosted. Frost the top and sides of your cake.
- Cover the platter and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Slice the cake into 6 pieces. (Enjoy your Zebra Cake with a glass of cold milk.)
How does it work?
While it is chilling in the refrigerator, the graham crackers absorb moisture from the frosting and become cake-like.
Variation to basic recipe:
You could also use vanilla pudding and chocolate low-fat graham crackers layered in a square or rectangular glass baking dish. For best results, assemble your dessert with “hot-from-the-stove” cooked pudding and then refrigerate overnight.
Taping of Kids in the Kitchen Interstitials
Kelly and Jenny make Green Eggs & Ham
Hannah and Angelles make Pretty Parfaits
Jack makes Croque Monsieur
Marielle and Josh make a Fruit Pizza
Tom and Viola make White Chocolate-Covered Pretzels.
Darlyne, Tom and Viola make treat bags for the pretzels.
Matthias and Andreas loved the Flying Saucers!
Petra joins her brothers in the kitchen.
Easy Hummus Dip makes a healthy snack.
Angelles and Iryonna enjoy the Chicken Broccoli Quiche.
Darlyne and Angelles hope you make the Chicken Broccoli Quiche at your home.
Angelles, Darlyne and Iryonna bake Crunchy Chicken Fingers.
Sam's family and friend, Luckson enjoy cooking together.
Ciara and Alanna make Crispy Cinnamon Bread.
Ciara and Alanna like to help in the kitchen.
Sam and Luckson make Kitty Chow Treat.
Lydia and Abby join Darlyne for Tortilla Pizza.
These sisters like baking Chocolate Bread Pudding Muffins.