Kids in the Kitchen
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray
- 12 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 10 oz pkg frozen chopped broccoli, thawed (or 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli)
- 4 oz shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 oz shredded low-fat Swiss cheese
- Spray a square casserole dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Cut off the bread crusts with a knife. Cut each bread slice in half lengthwise.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add the Parmesan cheese and pepper and mix with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Place 6 half-slices of bread on the bottom of the glass casserole dish.
- Cover the bread slices with some chopped broccoli. Sprinkle some cheddar and Swiss cheese. Repeat the same sequence (bread, broccoli, cheddar, Swiss) three more times.
- Pour the egg mixture over the casserole. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or at least 2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until lightly golden in color. Using oven mitts, remove the casserole from the oven.
- Cut into 6 servings. Use the spatula to serve.
Note: Children may find it helpful to divide the broccoli, cheddar cheese, and Swiss cheese into 4 equal portions so they will have reserved enough ingredients for each layer.
Taping of Kids in the Kitchen Interstitials
Kelly and Jenny make Green Eggs & Ham
Hannah and Angelles make Pretty Parfaits
Jack makes Croque Monsieur
Marielle and Josh make a Fruit Pizza
Tom and Viola make White Chocolate-Covered Pretzels.
Darlyne, Tom and Viola make treat bags for the pretzels.
Matthias and Andreas loved the Flying Saucers!
Petra joins her brothers in the kitchen.
Easy Hummus Dip makes a healthy snack.
Angelles and Iryonna enjoy the Chicken Broccoli Quiche.
Darlyne and Angelles hope you make the Chicken Broccoli Quiche at your home.
Angelles, Darlyne and Iryonna bake Crunchy Chicken Fingers.
Sam's family and friend, Luckson enjoy cooking together.
Ciara and Alanna make Crispy Cinnamon Bread.
Ciara and Alanna like to help in the kitchen.
Sam and Luckson make Kitty Chow Treat.
Lydia and Abby join Darlyne for Tortilla Pizza.
These sisters like baking Chocolate Bread Pudding Muffins.