Kids in the Kitchen
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray
- 12 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 10 oz pkg frozen chopped broccoli, thawed (or 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli)
- 4 oz shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 oz shredded low-fat Swiss cheese
- Spray a square casserole dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Cut off the bread crusts with a knife. Cut each bread slice in half lengthwise.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add the Parmesan cheese and pepper and mix with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Place 6 half-slices of bread on the bottom of the glass casserole dish.
- Cover the bread slices with some chopped broccoli. Sprinkle some cheddar and Swiss cheese. Repeat the same sequence (bread, broccoli, cheddar, Swiss) three more times.
- Pour the egg mixture over the casserole. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or at least 2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until lightly golden in color. Using oven mitts, remove the casserole from the oven.
- Cut into 6 servings. Use the spatula to serve.
Note: Children may find it helpful to divide the broccoli, cheddar cheese, and Swiss cheese into 4 equal portions so they will have reserved enough ingredients for each layer.
|Aug 26, 2011 - Taping of Kids in the Kitchen Interstitials|
Kelly and Jenny make Green Eggs & Ham
Hannah and Angelles make Pretty Parfaits
Jack makes Croque Monsieur
Marielle and Josh make a Fruit Pizza