Lemon Rice with Peanuts Recipe
Lemon Rice with Peanuts
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup dry yellow split peas
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 2 to 4 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chutney powder
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoons dry roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh coriander leaves
- Cook rice in 2 cups of water and set aside. Cool rice about 1 hour, so grains do not stick together.
- Soak split peas in 1/2 cup hot water for about 20 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- Combine lemon juice, salt, and turmeric powder; set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet or wok over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add red chili pepper, asafoetida powder, and curry leaves. Immediately stir in mustard seeds and urad dal. Cover and heat until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Immediately stir in soaked split peas. Cook,uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes, reducing heat until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Immediately stir in lemon juice mixture and chutney powder. Simmer 2 to 4 minutes, reducing heat if mixture starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cooked rice and stir the rice gently into lemon juice mixture.
- Stir and serve rice garnished with peanuts and coriander.
*** Serves 4.