Eggplant Masala Recipe
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 cup onion, cut in small lengthwise pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped tomato
- 3 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 cups eggplant, cut in small oblong pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened powdered coconut
- Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat with asafoetida powder and curry leaves. When oil is hot, but not smoking, stir in mustard seeds and urad dal. Cover and fry until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Add onion, tomato, and garlic. Add turmeric powder. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add eggplant and stir well. Cover and cook over low medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cayenne, and cumin powder. Add tomato sauce, salt, and 4 tablespoons of water and stir well. Continue to cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until eggplant becomes tender and sauce is thick. Stir often.
- Add coconut powder. Stir briefly for a few minutes.
*** Serves 4