Lima Beans Poriyal Recipe
Lima Beans Poriyal
- 1 package (10 to 16 ounces) frozen baby lima beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 to 4 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 whole dried red chilli pepper
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chutney powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened powdered coconut
- Bring 1 cup of water to boil. Add frozen lima beans with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder. Reduce heat and cook gently until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. You may also cook lima beans in microwave according to package directions.
- Place oil in a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, stir in curry leaves, red chili pepper, mustard seeds, and urad dal. Cover and fry until mustard seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown.
- Add drained lima beans and remaining 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and mix well. Blend over medium heat.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and chutney powder and stir. Add coconut powder and blend the seasonings well with lima beans.