Bell Pepper and Tomato Rice with Cashews Recipe
Bell Pepper and Tomato Rice with Cashews
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup frozen baby lima beans
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 to 3 slivers cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup onion, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup cashew halves
- 1/4 cup red onion
- Cook rice in 2 cups of water. Set aside.
- Cook lima beans in a saucepan in 1 cup of water with 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. When beans are tender, drain and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a wok or large fry-pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cumin, and fennel seeds. Brown for a few seconds.
- Add onion, and tomato. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add bell pepper and cooked lima beans with remaining 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add tomato sauce. Blend ingredients well in wok. Cook, covered, over medium heat, until bell pepper becomes slightly tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in curry powder and salt.
- Add cooked rice to wok and blend well with sauce. Immediately reduce heat to low.
- Stir in cashews and 1/4 cup red onion over rice. Mix rice well.