Bell Pepper, Tomato Rice w/Cashews Recipe
Bell Pepper, Tomato Rice w/Cashews
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 whole dried red chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups frozen blackeye peas
- 1 teaspoon sambhar powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- Place oil in a warmed saucepan. When oil is hot, add asafoetida, red chili pepper, fenugreek, mustard seeds, and urad dal. Cover and cook over medium heat until mustard seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown.
- Add onion and tomato to saucepan and stir well. Add turmeric powder and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add blackeye peas with sambhar powder, and salt. Stir peas with seasonings into ingredients in saucepan.
- Add tomato sauce and 3 cups of warm water to the mixture. When mixture begins to boil, add the crushed garlic and let it simmer over low heat until blackeye peas are tender. Add chopped coriander and serve warm.