Garlic and Pepper Chicken Recipe
Garlic and Pepper Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4 to 5 slivers cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 dried red chili peppers
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. ural dal
- 1/4 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper and cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. curry powder (more, if desired)
- 3/4 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped lengthwise (optional)
- Cut chicken into medium-size pieces. Rinse, drain, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, red chili pepper, cumin, fennel seeds and ural dal.
- Add onion and garlic. Saute for few minutes. Stir in turmeric powder.
- Add chicken and ginger to skillet. Cook, covered, over low heat until the chicken is partially cooked.
- Add black pepper and cumin powder, salt, curry powder, and cayenne powder. Stir well to coat the chicken with spices. Add tomato sauce and about 2 tablespoons water. Stir and cook chicken, covered, over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes. During the cooking process, stir often to prevent chicken from sticking to the skillet.
- To enhance flavor or to increase tenderness of chicken, add red onions over the chicken. Remove from heat. Note: Boneless skinless chicken breasts may be used in place of chicken thighs. Adjust other seasonings according to your taste. Serves 4 to 6