Garlic and Pepper Chicken Recipe
Garlic and Pepper Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 to 4 slivers cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dried red chilli pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper and cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped lengthwise (optional)
- Cut chicken into medium-size pieces. Rinse, drain, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, red chili pepper, cumin, and fennel seeds.
- Add onion and garlic. Sauté for few minutes. Stir in turmeric powder.
- Add chicken and ginger to skillet. Cook, covered, over low heat until the chicken is partially cooked.
- Add black pepper and cumin powder, salt, curry powder, and cayenne powder. Stir well to coat the chicken with spices. Add about 2 tablespoons water. Stir and cook chicken, covered, over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes. During the cooking process, stir often to prevent chicken from sticking to the skillet.
- Add red onions and stir the chicken.