Green Beans Poriyal Recipe
Green Beans Poriyal
- 1/4 cup yellow split peas
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 to 6 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons urad dal
- 1 pound green beans, diced (stems removed), about 3 cups
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chutney powder
- 1/4 cup fresh or unsweetened powdered coconut
- Boil 2 cups of water. Add split peas and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. Cook split peas over medium heat, uncovered, for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat with curry leaves. When oil is hot, but not smoking, stir in mustard seeds and urad dal. Cover and heat until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Add beans and stir well. Add ginger and cook over medium heat for about a minute.
- Add salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Add chutney powder. Stir well.
- Cover beans and cook over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Note: a sprinkle or two of water may, however, be added on top of the green beans to facilitate the cooking process.
- When beans are tender but still crisp, add cooked split peas and coconut. Stir well. Serve immediately or remove from heat and keep covered until serving time. Be careful not to overcook beans.
*** Serves 6