Cauliflower Masala Recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 to 3 slivers cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoons urad dal
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cauliflower, cut in 1-inch to 1 1/2-inch florets
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened powdered coconut (optional)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add cinnamon stick, mustard seeds, and urad dal. Fry, covered, until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden brown.
- Add onion and tomato. Stir-fry for 1 minute over medium heat.
- Add turmeric powder and cayenne powder. Stir well over medium heat for a minute. Add tomato sauce and salt. Mix well to obtain a thick paste-like consistency.
- Add cauliflower florets and blend carefully with sauce. Cover and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in coconut powder. Continue cooking until cauliflower is just tender, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to overcook!