Cauliflower Rice Recipe
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 4 slivers cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 cup onion, cut lengthwise
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 teaspoon black pepper and cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- Rinse and cook basmati rice in 2 cups of water. Let it cool for few minutes. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a wide-bottomed skillet. Add oil and heat over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add bay leaf, and cinnamon sticks.
- Add cumin seeds and urad dal and fry over medium heat until cumin are golden brown.
- Add onion and cauliflower and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add black pepper and cumin powder and salt. Continue cooking, covered, over medium heat until cauliflower is tender. About 1 tablespoon of water should be added to facilitate the cooking of the cauliflower.
- Add cooked basmati rice. Stir well into cauliflower mixture. Cover and allow to steam over low heat until rice becomes softer and absorbs the flavor of the cauliflower.
- Add peanuts and coriander and fluff the rice gently.
- Optional step: 1 teaspoon of melted butter or ghee may be added to rice to enhance flavor. Mix well.
*** Serves 4