Spinach Kootu Recipe
- 1/2 cup yellow split-peas
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 dried whole red chilli pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add yellow split peas and turmeric powder. Reduce heat to medium high and cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes until split peas become creamy. If water seems to have evaporated during the cooking process, add another cup of water and cook until split peas becomes creamy. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, stir in red chili pepper, mustard seeds, and urad dal. Fry, covered, until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Add onion and garlic. Stir-fry for approximately 1 minute.
- Stir in thawed spinach. Add cooked split pea mixture and 1 cup of warm water.
- Add cumin powder, salt, and green chili pepper, if desired, to spinach mixture. Blend well with ingredients in saucepan.
- Cover and cook over low heat for another 5 to 7 minutes, until spinach is cooked and all ingredients are thoroughly blended.