Lemon Rice Recipe
- 1 cup jasmine rice (or)basmati rice
- 1/4 cup dry yellow split peas
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chutney powder
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 tsps. grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp. dry roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Cook rice in 2 cups of water. Transfer cooked rice to a bowl and set aside.
- Soak split peas in 1 cup hot water for about 20 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- Combine lemon juice, salt, and turmeric powder; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add red chili pepper and asafoetida. Immediately stir in mustard seeds and urad dal. Cover and heat until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Immediately stir in soaked split peas. Cook, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes, reducing heat until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Stir in lemon juice mixture and chutney powder. Simmer 2 to 4 minutes, reducing heat if mixture starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cooked rice and stir the rice gently into lemon juice mixture.
- Add grated lemon zest and ginger to rice. Serve garnished with peanuts and cilantro. Serves 8
Join the over 30,000 friends of MPTV and start enjoying exclusive benefits & privileges.