Butternut Squash Masala Recipe
Butternut Squash Masala
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida
- 1 whole dried red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 medium onion, cut lengthwise
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder (more, if desired)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened powdered coconut
- Butternut Squash has a tough skin. Rub the squash with oil, poke the squash with fork. Microwave Squash for about 3 minutes (time to microwave depends upon the size of the squash) so that it is easy to cut the squash into cubes. Remove the pulp and skin.(or) Get the precut squash from the grocery store.
- Place oil in skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add asafoedtida powder, and red pepper.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal and cover. Fry until mustard seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown.
- Add onion and tomato and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add turmeric, cayenne, and ground cumin. Stir well.
- Add tomato sauce and salt. Mix well. When the mixture begins to bubble, add the butternut squash and stir well.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until the squash becomes somewhat soft. Add a small amount of water (about 1 tablespoon) periodically to facilitate the cooking process.
- Add coconut powder and stir well.
Join the over 30,000 friends of MPTV and start enjoying exclusive benefits & privileges.