Cream of Wheat Uppuma Recipe
Cream of Wheat Uppuma: This is cream of wheat cooked with onions and spices. Serve uppuma with sambhar or chutney.
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 whole dried red chili pepper
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup regular cream of wheat
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas(thawed)
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened or fresh shredded coconut (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. roasted cashew halves (optional)
- Place oil in a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add red pepper, mustard seeds, and urad dal.
- When urad dal turns golden, add chopped onions and cook for 1 minute. Add cream of wheat and stir for a minute. Add salt and ginger.
- Add 2 cups of warm water gradually to cream of wheat while stirring.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes. Add carrots, peas, coriander, and butter. Stir well. Add cashews, if desired, and mix well. Serves 4