Kohlrabi Sambhar Recipe
Kohlrabi Sambhar: Kohlrabi sambhar is cooked with kohlrabi, tomato, and lentils. It is light, flavorful, and easy to prepare.
- 1/2 cup moong or red lentils
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida
- 1 whole dried red chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1/4 cup onion, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and thinly sliced kohlrabi
- 1 Tbsp. sambhar powder
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp. tamarind paste(optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more, if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Boil 3 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add lentils and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes until lentils become soft and tender. If water seems to evaporate during the cooking process, add another cup of water and cook lentils. Use masher to mash the cooked lentil creamy. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. When oil is hot,but not smoking, add asafoetida, whole red pepper, fenugreek, mustard seeds, and urad dal. Cook, covered, until mustard seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown.
- Add chopped onion and tomato. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until onion is tender. Add kohlrabi and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. Stir well.
- Add sambhar powder and tomato sauce. Stir and add cooked lentils, plus 2-3 cups of warm water, to the mixture in the saucepan. Stir well.
- Add tamarind paste and salt. When mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat and cook kohlrabi until tender (4 to 6 minutes).
- Add coriander and simmer for an additional few minutes.