Cabbage with Coconut Poriyal Recipe
Cabbage with Coconut Poriyal
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 to 4 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 green chili pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground or unsweetened powdered coconut
- Place oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, stir in curry leaves, mustard seeds, and urad dal. Cover and fry until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Add cabbage, ginger, and green chili pepper. Stir well into seasonings and add salt. Cover and cook over low heat until cabbage is tender (about 3 minutes) but still crisp.
- Add the coconut and stir well. Serves 4