Carrot and Peas Pilaf Rice with Walnuts Recipe
Carrot and Peas Pilaf Rice with Walnuts
- 1 cups basmati rice
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 3-5 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 4 slivers cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup onion cut lengthwise
- 1 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. walnuts
- Rinse and drain basmati rice. Cook basmati rice in 2 cups of warm water in a rice cooker or on stovetop. Transfer cooked rice to a bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Heat butter over medium heat in a wide saucepan. When butter is hot, but not smoking, add bay leaf, cinnamon stick. Stir-fry for a minute.
- Add cumin seeds and stir-fry for another minute. Add onions and cook about two minutes.
- Add garam masala powder and salt. Stir well.
- Warm the cooked rice. Add rice and stir-well with the above seasonings.
- Add carrots, peas and walnuts to the rice and fluff the rice gently.