Brussels Sprouts and Chickpea Poriyal Recipe
Brussels Sprouts and Chickpea Poriyal
- 3 cups fresh brussels sprouts
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chutney powder
- 1/4 cup powdered unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbsp. chopped shallots for garnish (optional)
- Coarsely chop brussels sprouts.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, stir in mustard seeds and urad dal. Cover and fry until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Add onion and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add chickpeas, salt, and chutney powder to skillet and stir well. Cook, covered, for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add Brussels sprouts and mix well with the ingredients in the skillet. Cook covered over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut. Mix well with vegetables. Garnish with shallots.