Black Pepper and Cumin Rice with Cashews Recipe
Black Pepper and Cumin Rice with Cashews
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 to 4 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tsp. black pepper and cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dry roasted cashews
- Cook rice in rice cooker, or cook rice in 2 cups of water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add curry leaves and red peppers. Stir briefly. Add mustard seeds and urad dal. Cover and heat until mustard seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown.
- Add onion and cook for a minute.
- Add cooked rice to the onion mixture and stir well with spoon.
- Add black pepper and cumin powder to rice. Add salt and mix well.
- Add cashews and stir well into rice.