Curried Eggplant Recipe
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1/2 cup onion, cut in small lengthwise pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped tomato
- 3 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 3 cups eggplant, cut in small oblong pieces
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more, if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, stir in mustard seeds and urad dal. Cover and fry until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Add onion, tomato, and garlic. Add turmeric powder. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add eggplant to the ingredients in skillet and stir well. Cover and cook over low medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garam masala, and salt, and about 2 tablespoons of water and stir well(to prevent eggplant sticking from the skillet). Continue to cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes until eggplant becomes tender.
- Garnish with cilantro.