Cauliflower Kootu Recipe
- 3/4 cup moong dal
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric (divided)
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 whole dried red pepper
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 finely chopped green chili pepper
- 3 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more, if desired)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add moong dal and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes until dal becomes soft and tender. If water seems to evaporate during the cooking process, add little bit more water and cook until dal becomes soft and tender. Use masher to make the cooked dal creamy. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add red pepper, mustard seeds and urad dal. Cover and cook until mustard seeds burst and urad dal turns golden.
- Add onions, ginger, chili, and remaining turmeric powder.
- Add cauliflower. Blend well with the seasonings in the saucepan.
- Add cooked dal, cumin powder, and salt. Add about 1 cup warm water and gently stir cauliflower with the dal mixture.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until cauliflower is just tender (2 to 4 minutes). Add cilantro and gently fold cauliflower. Do not overcook cauliflower.