Shrimp in Eggplant Sauce Recipe
Shrimp in Eggplant Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 to 4 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 3 cups eggplant, cut into small chunks
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder (more, if desired)
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp. tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 pound fresh shrimp (shelled and deveined)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add curry leaves, cumin seeds, and fenugreek.
- Immediately add onion and tomato and cook for a few minutes. Add eggplant to saucepan and allow to cook with the seasonings for a few minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, cayenne powder, and cumin powder. Stir and add tomato sauce, tamarind paste, salt, and 1 cup of warm water. Let eggplant slow cook over low heat, covered, until eggplant is soft and the sauce has thickened.
- When the eggplant is cooked and the above mixture begins to thicken, add the shrimp. Cook for about 5 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add an additional 1/2-1 cup of warm water and let it simmer for a few additional minutes.