Potato Masala Recipe
- 2 medium to large potatoes, boiled & peeled
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida
- 3 to 4 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne powder (more, if desired)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Cook potatoes with sufficient water to cover in a covered kettle over medium heat with 1/4 tsp. turmeric and 1/4 tsp. salt for approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes become soft. Drain water from cooked potatoes. Peel and coarsely chop potatoes. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add asafoetida and curry leaves. Immediately add mustard seeds and urad dal. Fry, covered, until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Add onion, tomato, green chili, and ginger. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the remaining 1/4 tsp. of turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp. salt, and cayenne powder. Stir well.
- Add potatoes and stir gently as you blend them with ingredients in skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, so flavors will blend well. Add cilantro and mix well.