Spinach Poriyal Recipe
- 1/2 cup yellow moong lentil
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 whole dried red chili pepper
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped green chili
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach (thawed)*
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. ground fresh or unsweetened powdered coconut (optional)
- Boil about 2 cups of water. Add yellow moong lentil with turmeric powder and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes over medium heat, until lentils are semi-soft. If water evaporates before lentils become tender, add an additional 1/4 cup of water. When lentils are tender, set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, stir in red pepper, mustard seeds and urad dal. Fry until mustard seeds burst (listen for popping sound) and urad dal is golden.
- Add onion and green chili and stir for 1 minute.
- Add thawed spinach and blend well with mixture in skillet. Add salt. Cover and cook over medium heat for approximately 3 minutes until spinach is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add drained moong lentil to spinach mixture. Mix and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with coconut. Stir gently and serve. Yield: About 3 cups cooked spinach poriyal *To thaw the spinach follow the package directions.