Beets with Coconut Poriyal Recipe
Beets with Coconut Poriyal
- 4 cups peeled and cubed beets
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 whole red chili pepper
- 2-4 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 tsp. urad dal
- 2 tsp. chutney powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. fresh shredded or unsweetened coconut powder
- Using a saucepan with water and a steamer basket, steam beets for 6 to 8 minutes until they are tender. Set aside.
- Add oil to a warmed skillet. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add chili pepper, curry leaves, mustard seeds and urad dal. Heat until mustard seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown. Note: You may substitute 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds for the mustard seeds and urad dal if you prefer.
- Add steamed beets to skillet with chutney powder, salt and coconut powder.
- Stir well. Serve warm.