Blackeye Peas with Mango Kulambu Recipe
Blackeye Peas with Mango Kulambu
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida powder
- 1 whole dried red chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 cups frozen blackeye peas
- 2 tsp. sambhar powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chopped mango with skin
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- Place oil in a warmed saucepan. When oil is hot, add asafoetida, red chili pepper, fenugreek, mustard seeds, and urad dal. Cover and cook over medium heat until mustard seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown.
- Add onion and tomato to saucepan and stir well. Add turmeric powder and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add blackeye peas with sambhar powder, and salt. Stir peas with seasonings into ingredients in saucepan.
- Add tomato sauce and 3 cups of warm water to the mixture. When mixture begins to boil, add the crushed garlic, mango and let it simmer over low heat until blackeye peas are tender. Add chopped coriander and serve warm.