Swiss Chard with Lentil and Coconut Recipe
Swiss Chard with Lentil and Coconut
- 1/2 cup yellow moong lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 chopped fresh green chili
- 1 bunch organic green or rainbow chard
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tablespoons ground fresh or unsweetened powdered coconut
- Boil 2 cups of water. Add moong lentils with turmeric powder and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes over medium heat, until lentils are semi-soft. If water evaporates before lentils become tender, add an additional 1/4 cup of water. When lentils are tender, set aside.
- Wash and chop chard including stems. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, stir in mustard seeds and urad dal. Let mustard seeds pop and urad turn golden.
- Add onion, garlic and chili and stir for 1 minute.
- Add chopped chard. Blend well with mixture in skillet. Add ground cumin, and salt. Cover and cook over medium heat approximately 3 minutes until chard is crisp tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked moong lentil to chard mixture. Blend thoroughly.
- Garnish with coconut. Stir briefly and serve.